- To reproduce an entire muscle with all its facets, to generate different types of muscle, to mimic human disease in vitro, to integrate muscle on a chip with other tissues on a chip.
- To reproduce human muscle disease in vitro to study disease mechanisms, to develop therapies, and to test the patient-specific response to therapy.
- To develop technology for sensitive and robust read out of muscle performance in health and disease.
Collaboration with other theme groups:
- With Heart-on-chip: similar technology and approach although cardiac and skeletal muscle differ.
- With Vessel-on-chip: for generation of vessels within muscle.
- With Brain-on-chip: for generation of neuromuscular junctions.